The 417 visa

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

The Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is the most granted visa for backpackers in Australia. You can apply for this visa if you are between 18 and 30 at the time of application (before your 31st birthday) and you are form an eligible country (see list below). The costs for this visa will be approximately $400 AUD.

 With this visa you are allowed to:

  • Stay in Australia for up to 12 months with the possibility to leave and reenter the country as many times as you like.
  • Work in Australia with the same employer for up to 6 months (or more under certain conditions*)
  • Study in Australia for up to 4 months.
  • Apply for a second visa under certain conditions.

List of Eligible countries for the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417):

  • United Kingdom
  • Canada
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Republic of Korea
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan

Arrangements are also being negotiated with other countries, so check the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for the latest updates. 

Types of work

Regional work required for a second year working visa is usually associated with either fruit-picking or farm work.
These are legitimate choices to extend the visa but they are not the only options that are available, and somewhere in the options below there is sure to be something for you.

The current list of eligible industries are:

– Plant and animal cultivation
– Fishing and pearling
– Tree farming and felling
– Mining
– Construction

Before accepting any work towards your 2nd-year visa, make sure that:

– You are not working for free: you must be paid a verifiable wage that you can prove with bank statements and pay slips.
– If being paid hourly, the wage is at least $23.66 per hour. (New casual rate since 01-07-18)

If you are being paid by the piece:

– The piecework rate must enable the average competent employee to earn at least 15% more per hour than the minimum hourly rate prescribed in this award for the type of employment and the classification level of the employee. That means 15% more than $17.70 per hour – on average a worker should be able to earn $20.35 per hour!

*Note: You can also get a piecework agreement with your employer in this case you don’t have to earn $20.35 per hour

– You still must earn at least $17.70 per hour on average, even when working by the piece. If this is not possible, then your work may not qualify for the 2nd year visa, and you should seek employment elsewhere.

"Don't leave it until the last minute"
Close Menu