Getting your second visa

Most asked questions

How do I calculate my days?

Rules are set up by the government regarding the calculation of the 88 days.
Three months’ means three ‘calendar’ months.

One full day of work is defined as seven to eight hours of work during the day.
On average, the Australian working week is 35 to 40 hours.

Full time workers may include weekends in calculating the number of days. So if you have worked 5 days doing 7 or 8 hours per day, you may count 7 days worked. If you have worked less hours per day, then you must work more days to reach the 35 / 40 hours worked per week. For example if you have worked 5 hours per day, you must work 7 days for your full week to be counted.
Full time workers can count sick days only during periods where they are in paid employment and entitled to sick leave. Supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.

If your job is part time or casual, you may only count the days you have actually worked.

When should I apply?

You may apply either while you still hold a first Working Holiday visa or at a later date.
If you want to extend your visa straight after the first one, you should apply before your first working holiday visa expires. If you wish to come back later, you should apply before your 31th birthday. You will have one year after approval to enter Australia.

What do I need before I apply?

The most important thing is that you have finished all your days. If you apply for your second Working Holiday Visa it could happen that the government does an investigation on your application. In this case you need to prove that you have actually done the work. 

The evidence can include, but is not limited to the following:

  • A bank statement covering the entire period of your claimed specified work
  • Bus tickets, accommodation or general receipts in your name
  • Payslips
  • Group certificates
  • Tax returns
  • Employer references on official letterhead

Can I work for a different employer?

You can either work in one block with the same employer or in separate blocks with one employer or a number of employers. Days of work may be in different kinds of specified work. For example, you can complete 58 days of capsicum picking, travel for a few weeks and complete another month on a solar farm to complete your days.

What does it cost and how long will it take?

Processing time can vary from an application to another. Some applications are granted within a few hours others are investigated and can take up to 2 months.

When lodging your application for a second year visa, you should upload all your supporting evidence at the same time to avoid delay in processing your application.

Providing a false or misleading declaration or fraudulent evidence for any visa application can result in the application being refused or cancelled. If the applicant’s visa is cancelled they may be prevented from lodging further applications and be excluded from Australia for a period of three years.

Information extracted from the Australian Immigration Website (

How do I apply?

The fastest way to apply for a second Working Holiday visa is online on the government website:

Another way to apply for a second Working Holiday visa is by using the paper form:  Form 1150 Application for a Working Holiday visa. Once completed send it by post to: Cairns Second Working Holiday Centre, PO Box 1269, Cairns Qld 4870.

You can apply from in or outside Australia.

If you apply from Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted.

If applying from outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

"If you want your second year, just finish the days"
It's really important for farmers to have seasonal workers
Close Menu